Friday 4 January 2013

Elegant or completely mad?

The theme at Sunday Postcard Art this week is Winter Elegance.  Whilst looking for inspiration I came across a French fashion advertisement from the 1920's showing a woman in a very fine winter coat.  Without thinking any more about it I decided that I would paint it.
Stop following me you creep! 

The more I sketched and painted the more ridiculous the image became.  What on earth was being depicted here?  They are supposed to be selling coats and dresses!  Instead they have a rather elegant lady in high heels perilously close to the edge of a drop, while a man in a car looks on horrified.  Love it :)


It is painted on heavy duty card stock using Golden Fluid paints in a lose style.  I finished off some pieces with inktensils and coloured pencils.  I really should have put more work into the detail, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.


8 comments:

  1. You are so funny Liz...I don't know what she's doing but what ever it is she looks elegant...a really beautiful painting my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a fabulous painting, how many stories could we weave around it? Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She does look really elegant but yes, it is an odd scenario :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have captured it completely, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep...you should be happy. It's a bit mad but very, VerY good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. classic! love your painting, but your take on the craziness of the advertising image cracked me up- :-) Debi x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful expressive painting, really an art work!Love the blending color combination, the scenery is perfect!
    xox Anja

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully done. I don't think all ads make sense so this is just fine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment, I really appreciate it - Liz