Tuesday 4 June 2013

Gothic Arch Demeng style

The challenge at Three Muses today is Gothic and a little dark.  I chose to work in the style of Michael Demeng, who does some very spine chilling assemblage art.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time for all of the layers of painting, sealing and washes to dry properly so I've got some crinkling and buckling but all in all, I think it's OK. (I was going to glue a small eye to the flower but didn't want to spook you all out)
What an evil looking dude!
The card is 300 gsm cardstock painted in Paynes Grey.  Once dry I painted over the top with PVA glue (creates a gentle crackle).  While that was drying I cut out the Gothic arch from old text paper and adhered the evil man to it.
Then came lots of layers of various paints until the vintage text almost fell apart.  I painted some paper ribbon with Van Dyke brown paint for the bottom and a flower embellishment to the top.  Then attempted Demengs signature dots and wriggly things!
It was certainly an interesting exercise in what happens to various papers, paints and varnishes when you rush through and dry them with a heat gun!!!

17 comments:

  1. Great bit of gothic art, Liz. Thanks for sharing your process of creation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fabulous piece of art, Liz! Appropriate spooky and dark. I think an eye on the flower would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fabulous piece! I love the grunge and the earthy colours. Standing ovation from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is wonderfully dark and eerie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A handsome arch and wonderful rich imagery make this special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely Liz the crinkles add interest from my point of view...a beautiful and creepy work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, very sinister, Liz, you've created a real Gothic feel!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wouaouh! Beautiful job Liz!
    I love all these little white interventions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome piece of work! Thanks so much for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i totally love it! (and you couldn´t spook me so easily;))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully and what appears to be effortlessly layered to produce a GREAT piece of art!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That's a cracker! Fantastic! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! I agree about the crinkles- they add great texture. And he does look sinister!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have succeeded to create Gothic arch dark and mysterious atmosphere on your wonderfully worked art piece. Love the rustic fence and Van Dyke. His hair's color is just right red;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, he is surely sinister! lovely piece of work

    ReplyDelete
  16. A men men men manly work, in a good sense :)
    I wish you had applied that eye ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment, I really appreciate it - Liz